The best after-school programs do two things: engage students in fun activities that inspire learning and creativity and build on what students are doing in the classroom. Research indicates that students get the most out of afterschool programs that:
- Develop fun activities with a sense of intentionality
- Survey and build on student interests
- Motivate and engage all students to participate
- Connect grade-level benchmarks, standards, and the curriculum to increase student achievement
- Provide real-world activities that connect to the broader community
- Provide homework help
- Plan activities that engage students and enhance skills across the curriculum
- Provide staff training and professional development
Teaching Safari, a division of Chicago School Supply, has introduced a new professional development series designed to enhance teaching and learning both in and out of the classroom. The new series includes:
Schoodoodle.com also offers a great selection of materials designed to enrich after school programs and parental involvement initiatives. We also carry trusted resources to assist homeschooling parents.
If you have an after school program, tell us about it. We’d love to hear from you!
Filed under: Uncategorized on November 1st, 2011