Are Kids Too Plugged In? These Statistics May Get Your Attention.

Are Your Students Distracted? Many teachers are stating this is a growing problem in their classrooms. As technology evolves and expands into our culture- it is no surprise that many children are being affected by increased usage and which affects time management and stress levels for students.

I did a little digging and found some very interesting stats to share.   It is clear we are watching more TV than ever (our kids too!) and spend a great deal of time on cell phones, texting, online, and playing video games.  Here are some recent time management facts on American Time Use collected by The Bureau of Labor Statistics that might get your attention.  To see the full report visit www.frankwbaker.com.

• NIELSEN: MORE TVs THAN HUMANS IN US In 2009, there were nearly 115 million TV homes in the US, each averaging 2.86 TV sets, according to a new Nielsen study. That computes to nearly 329 million TV sets — more than the entire US population, estimated at 307 million by the US Census Bureau. (Huff Post; NY Post)
  • Middle School Student Media Consumption Study Results According to the Ratheon study, 72 percent of U.S. middle school students spend more than three hours each day outside of school in front of a TV, mobile phone or computer screen rather than doing homework or other academic-related activities. The study found that students spend a lot of time in front of a screen doing one or more of the following activities: watching TV, playing video games, sending text messages or using the computer (for non-school related tasks).
  • According to Nielsen Media Research, children aged 2-11 spend more hours in front of the tube than they have since at least 2001. Kids aged 2-5 average more than 32 hours a week in front of a TV. Kids 6-11 spend a little less, about 28 hours per week, presumably because they’re spending more time in school. Both measures are the highest levels recorded by Nielsen during the study period.
  • 40%of US households own a video game system, according to a August 2009 report from the Cable & Telecommunications Association for Marketing.But that number is flat from last year, said the study. The most notable growth area was in high-definition television adoption. HDTV ownership grew from 35 percent last year to 53 percent this year.
  • HOW TEENS USE MEDIA: The leading type of media use among teens is still television, with the average teenager watching 3 hours and 20 minutes per day, countering the myth of YouTube as the lead medium. Actually, Nielsen says that teens watch more TV than ever, with usage up 6% over the past five years in the U.S. In comparison, a typical teen only watches about 11 minutes of online video per day, Nielsen found, or an average of about 3 hours per month. .
  • SURVEY: ONE IN FOUR KIDS HAVE THEIR OWN GAME CONSOLE the recent NPD Group survey also found that 37 percent of kids aged 4 to 14 who use a portable gaming console (such as the Nintendo DS or the Sony PSP) actually own them—or rather, their parents and/or generous family member/friend gave them one. (And in nine out of ten cases, it was brand new.) The figure for personal media players: 30 percent.
  • According to the Participatory Marketing Network and Pace University’s Lubin School of Business IDM Lab, 10/20/2009 Email was the activity that college students were least likely to give up for a week:

–26%, Checking, readng and sending emails
–26%, Text messaging
–15%, Watching TV
–11%, Talking on the phone
– 9%, Visiting social networking sites
– 7%, Reading magazines
– 6%, Visiting websites other than social networks

• American teenagers sent and received an average of 2,272 text messages per month in the fourth quarter of 2008—almost 80 messages a day, more than double the average of a year earlier.- Nielsen Co., 2009
  • The average American, age 15 and older, spent 3 hours and 11 minutes a day working in 2009, 17 minutes less than in 2007. With that extra time they watched more TV (+12 minutes, to 2 hours and 49 minutes a day) and slept more (+6 minutes, to 8 hours and 40 minutes a day). There was no change in time devoted to volunteering, exercise, and learning.- American Time Use Survey, 2009
  • People who regularly juggle several streams of electronic information do not pay attention, control their memories, or switch from one task to another as well as those who prefer to focus on one thing at a time. Heavy media multitaskers are paying a big price.- Stanford Report, 8/24/2009, Study by Clifford Nass, Eyal Ophir & Anthony Wagner
Share and Enjoy:
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • TwitThis